Sunday, April 02, 2006

 

No Longer An Infant

Andre turned one year old last March 21. He had his usual party on that day, a Tuesday, with all of us (meaning, his dad, me & his ninang) missing work and spending the day with him. The Sunday after that, he was host to a real party at McDonalds. And what fun he had! The moment we stepped on the party place, he was all smiles. He greeted his guests with his "2-tooth" grin and entertained them with his repertoire of antics (clap hands, dance, where's the light, bye-bye, etc.). He wasn't even afraid of the mascot, a big yellow chicken with a blue beak... he even tried prying open that beak to see what's inside, he he he. When the party ended, he was yelling at his guests, wondering why they are leaving the place. He would have had one of his tantrums if not for his fascination with the tons of gifts we loaded in our car. Well, the day ended with him falling asleep at six in the evening, tired and exhausted, but definitely happy...

As I watched him sleep, I realized that he is no longer an infant, as the books say. He is now officially a toddler, which means he is one step up in the ladder to adulthood. My baby is definitely growing up. He is getting heavier everyday and also taller. He can now do a lot of things: hold his bottle, say a few one-syllable words, indicate his wants with gestures, take a few wobbly steps, pick small objects, and feed himself using his fingers. He is also slowly exerting his independence. While before he loves being carried in my arms all the time, he now prefers being let down on the floor to crawl or “walk”. Sometimes, he can even sleep on his own after playing by himself. He also seems to know what he does and does not want to do. The problem is what he does want to do are not necessarily the same things that I want him to do. Case in point: he wants to play at two in the morning, while I, already tired from the office, want him to settle down and sleep. Lately, it does seem that our little time together always turns into a battle of wills which usually ends up with him crying his lungs out and me feeling frustrated.

But tantrums or no tantrums, Andre is much more fun to be with now. It’s like having a miniature person around… someone I can have conversations with (although I can’t understand his words), someone I can watch tv with (as long as it’s Disney channel), someone to keep me company (especially when his dad is out), someone to play with (when I’m feeling up to it), someone to dance with (he likes waltz & cha-cha) and someone to hold in my arms just when I feel like being close to somebody… My Andre, my little man.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]