Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

First Haircut

Andre had his first haircut on April Fools’ Day. He had it at B-Bums, a hair salon specializing in kids’ haircuts. Well, despite the kid-friendly set-up and furnishings of the salon (a play area complete with toys, colorful décor, miniature cars as seats and video showing of Barney), Andre was visibly terrified with having his hair cut, or should I say, shaved. After the shaver ran through his hair a couple of times, he gave a pitiful scream and launched into a crying fit. We had to take turns carrying him into our arms to console him. Poor baby, his first haircut turned into a traumatic experience, just as I was afraid of. To make the long story short, the barber was able to shave all of his hair, although there were still some rough edges that still needed cutting. We just decided to do the rest of this cutting at home as we were anxious to leave the saloon immediately for fear that Andre will pass out from crying too hard. We were not even sure what Andre was afraid of. It might be the barber (who had an unusual funky hairdo), the electric shaver with its whirring sound and jarring vibrations, or seeing himself on the mirror with hair falling off the top of his head.

His foul mood did not last for long, though. We were inside the mall, after all, and it was his first real mall visit. I watched him as his eyes grew large with wonder from all the colorful shop decorations and all the people passing by. He really had fun sitting on his own chair at Shakeys while I fed him with small bits of spaghetti. His eyes reflected pure joy when we allowed him to “walk” in the mall as he tried to “run” after other children twice his size. And to cap it all, we had our first studio picture as a family taken and he was all smiles in the photos. All in all, Andre enjoyed his afternoon out despite the haircut episode.

Later in the house, I was watching Andre play in his playpen when I realized what a simple haircut can do. With all of his baby hair gone, Andre now looked less of a baby and more of little boy. It seemed that his “babyness” disappeared with his hair. Gone is the delicate and trusting baby and here now is a robust and strong-willed little boy, brimming with wide-eyed curiosity. I have to admit, though, that his shaved head suits him well— he now looks like a mini version of his dad.

Oh well! But I still miss his baby hair… I miss its sweet pungent smell of baby soap and sweat… I miss the way it curled on the back of his head and above his ears… I miss trying to comb his wet hair after his baths. But no matter how I feel about it, I know that he had to have a haircut some time. And no matter how I want him to stay as a baby forever, I know I have to let him grow up to be the best person he could be.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]